Sunday 21 December 2014

"Life is so fragile and unpredictable"- Week 7 (last post of 2014)

It hit me last night when I was immersed in a room of my new family, some of the best and nicest people I have ever met, that Fight to End Cancer 2015 is just over FIVE MONTHS AWAY. What?
For some reason, when I started training, seven months sounded like an eternity and it hadn't quite and still hasn't fully hit me that I will be stepping into a boxing ring and opening myself up to being hit in the face. I won't literally be opening myself up because my face will be covered of course, but you know what I mean.
Five months away? If those days and weeks go by as fast as the first two months did...this fight will be here in no time. AHH

I walked around the Kingsway Boxing Christmas Party last night and chatted with all the familiar faces I see at the gym every day. It was amazing and I could not feel more fortunate to 1. have met this incredible group of people in the first place (thanks Kelly) and 2. to be in the position that so much advice and support was offered to me for this crazy journey that I have only dipped my toes into. The New Year is just around the corner and I am ready to fully dive head first into the intense training- both physically and mentally. I am mostly excited and slightly nervous to see what 2015 has in store for me. I know it's going to be good.

Photo (L to R): Jennifer Huggins, Kelly Dickinson and Me

So, let me talk about my last week of training (in actual classes at the gym) of 2014. Yet again, it was a tough one. This week was FULL of tears. I don't know if boxing has somehow made me a really emotional person or if recently I have just been put in, or heard about really sad situations, but regardless, the tears were flowing (I swear, I'm not usually a crier- right, Mum?).

I'll break it down:

Gym
The workouts were exhausting and I had my first "injury". I was going into the conditioning class after an already long Tuesday night technical class with Jenn and in the middle of one of my burpees, I felt a tweak in my neck that shot down my shoulder and back. I immediately stopped and told Jenn, who instructed me to step out of the workout, got me some ice and made me sit there while everyone continued on. This is torture to me and reminds me of any time I've had to sit on the bench for soccer and how badly I want to be back in the game, but I knew this was for the best. She told me to go home and to take a rest for a few days. This was a learning moment for me- in my head I was thinking "Ya, that's not happening- I'm waking up for a run in the morning" but quickly decided to oblige solely based on how adamant she was. I can honestly admit that I'm not one that listens to my body as much as I should. I have this fear that I'm going to miss out on something and try to speed up recovery time whenever I have any kind of injury. I know this is not going to fly with Jenn and Virgil and in the sport of boxing as a whole.
I took a break on Wednesday and was back at the gym on Thursday (I swear my neck felt perfect). This night in particular, Virgil saw the tears welling up in my eyes because I couldn't get my footing right. I just could NOT get it and my brain was working in overdrive trying to focus on not getting hit in the face, throwing the right punch and making sure the way my feet were moving was proper (especially because I could see Virgil's eye fixed on them for an entire sparring round). I yelled at him to stop staring at me and continued on in my frustrated state where nothing got accomplished because I was then just focused on how frustrated I was. It was a vicious cycle! I held in my tears... until I got to my car. :)

Side note- I got cleared medically to actually fight! Time to start shopping for a pink headgear- just kidding (kind of)!

Work
This week I put on an event at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre to bring some holiday cheer and joy into the lives of our youngest patients. The Children's Holiday Party is a time for children who are being treated at The Princess Margaret or whose parents or guardians are treated there to gather together, make some crafts, decorate cookies, get some tattoos or their face painted and receive a special gift from Santa. This event is one that I am so grateful to have in my portfolio. It's so nice to chat with the parents and play with the children and it's one of those moments that you stop to recognize and really put your life into perspective. The little things that I wake up in the morning and think are a big deal, ARE NOT. These children and their families exude hope and for two hours, I get to watch these amazing children run around, with the biggest smiles on their faces and I experience what true strength really looks like. Life is so so precious.
I went back to the office and here we go again... tears.

Personal
I'm not going to get into the full details of this one, but trust me when I say, it's been a hard week filled with many emotions on a personal level.

BUT, with everything that has happened this week and over the past couple of months, I have learned to be so grateful for everything that I have. I have my health, the absolute best family and friends, a NEW amazing boxing family and a job where I work every day to conquer cancer in our lifetime. Take the time to think about everything that YOU are grateful for and remember these things as you move through your day to day life.

At this time of year especially, hug your loved ones and let them know how much they mean to you! Life is so fragile and unpredictable.

Whatever holiday you celebrate, I wish you all the very best as you surround yourself with family and friends!

Love you all and thanks again for your support. See you in the New Year!

xo Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment