Sunday 6 December 2015

The After Math - 6+ Months Post Fight

It's hard to believe that over a year has passed since I made the BEST DECISION of my life so far. Life changing is the only way to describe it.

The high of fight night took a while to escape from me but I am reminded every day, in different ways about what I did and how amazing it was to have been part of something so much bigger than I could have ever imagined.

The nostalgia sets in here and there but the constant joy I feel continues to grow as I reflect on the numerous feelings and accomplishments that went hand in hand with this journey:

1. I was part of an event, raising funds to contribute to breakthrough research and developing medical advances with a hope for a cancer free future. The amazing FTEC team succeeded in bringing in over $165,000- the most raised in the history of this event. I hope next year's team can beat this record! Many of you reading this, helped in this mission. I am confident we have contributed toward the vision to conquer cancer in our, our children's or our grandchildren's lifetime.

2. I learned that I have a new passion. Boxing. Growing up as a competitive soccer player, I didn't have time to try new things. Throwing myself into a completely new sport was both terrifying and exciting. I had to embrace the unknown, frustrations and mental breakdowns that came along with boxing and ride the intense highs of having these techniques and skills finally click, being taught a new combination and feeling like the biggest badass (excuse my french), and stepping into the ring, surrounded by everyone I love and showing them that I do know how to box (or at least know how to take really hard punches to the face and never back down while continuing to throw them back).

3. I can't even count how many new friends I have made through this, all of whom I have known for a year or less but who accept me for exactly who I am. Never have I once felt like I wasn't being completely authentic when I stepped foot in the gym, or been around this new growing family.

4. Knowing what I can achieve if I dedicate and put my mind to something is one thing I have never experienced before this. I truly believe that I can do anything I want in life and YOU CAN TOO!

5. I never would have guessed that signing up to fight, also meant that I was signing up to meet my future boyfriend and one of the best guys ever. I am so grateful that Robert came walking into Kingsway Boxing and into my life. I will admit that my first impression of him and his of me were obviously very off. He has proven to me that laughter truly is the best medicine and I will never be short of that with Robert in my life. (Shout out to Virgil for scouting him to fight Mark!)

As an FTEC alumni, I am in a new position now as I watch the 2016 fight team prepare for their boxing debuts in June 2016. I'm jealous but also happy to have already gone through the crazy emotions that, whether they realize it or not, they are about to face. I hope this experience will prove to be as life changing for them as it has been for me.

I will be there every step of the way.

xo Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment